This question was submitted from Carmine
8220;I have a side-by-side refrigerator with an in-door water dispenser. The drip pan, though, is always nasty. I8217;ve tried cleaning it in a solution of vinegar and water, and some of the water deposits go away, but it doesn8217;t stay clean for long and not all the water deposits are cleaned. Help!8221;
Vinegar and water is a good way to remove water stains. However, if the dripping is on-going, it maybe hard to remove the constant staining.
Try these techniques:
- Try using a strong acidic based cleaner, available at a janitorial supply store. It will be more effective at removing the water stains.
- To really effectively clean the nastiness out of your drip tray you should use a bleach and water solution which will kill bacteria, hopefully the nastiness.
- Use a mixture of 1 part chlorine bleach and 3 part water; if possible remove the tray and soak for ten minutes and rinse well with water.
- If the tray is a color other than white there may be concern that the bleach will affect the color. If that is the case you can go to a janitorial supply store and buy a food safe disinfectant that will do the job of bleach although it will be more expensive.
- Try to slow the growth of bacteria by empting and rinsing the drip tray as much as possible.