A significant percentage of the Maintenance, Repairs and Operation budget is spent on janitorial or custodial services.Â In fact, the average is 30% of an MRO budget is spent on custodial services which is more than the next five expense items combined.Â It is critical to have a good handle on this expense.
Many property managers struggle with the cost of cleaning. It is an obtuse figure thatâ€™s hard to figure out.Â There are a large amount of variables that go into costing.
- How much time does it take to clean your property?
- How much do you need to have cleaned?
- What are the frequencies of cleaning?
- What are the types of areas that need cleaning, hard floors verses carpeting etc.?
- What are the traffic patterns of your facility and how does that effect budgets?
The purchasing process for buying cleaning services is not always simple. Educating yourself on as many methods of costing is important to arm you with the information to ensureÂ you are fully informed when it comes to the largest single expense in the MRO world.