This happens more often than you might imagine, and the smell lingers and tends to be absorbed by other foods being stored.
Tools & Chemicals:
- cotton cleaning rag or paper towels
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tbsp baking soda
- 1 lemon or lemon juice.
- Mix the water, baking soda & lemon juice together
- Wipe the interior of the container with the above mixture removing all spatters
- Rinse with fresh water
- Take the balance of the solution and boil in a shallow microwave safe dish for two minutes
- The microwave should be very steamy, use caution when opening the door
- Wipe down the container with a dry rag or paper towel
Another solution is to wipe the container with a 50:50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. Vinegar is an effective cleaning agent. If the smells are very strong, let the container sit overnight in the solution as this may help as well.