This happens more often than you might imagine, and the smell lingers and tends to be absorbed by other foods being stored.
Tools & Chemicals:
- cotton cleaning rag or paper towels
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tbsp baking soda
- 1 lemon or lemon juice.
- MixÂ the water, baking soda & lemon juice together
- Wipe the interior of the container with the aboveÂ mixture removing all spatters
- Rinse with fresh water
- Take the balance of the solution and boil in a shallow microwave safe dish for two minutes
- The microwave should be very steamy, use caution when opening the door
- Wipe down the container with a dry rag or paper towel
Another solution is to wipe the container with a 50:50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water. Vinegar is an effective cleaning agent. If the smells are very strong, Â let the container sit overnight in the solution as this may help as well.